Your Guide to Affordable Breakfast for the Family
Posted By Pam Tyson Yasinski on August 8th, 2019
The lazy days of summer are about to come to an end. Whether you’re headed to the office, to school or anywhere else, every weekday will bring its own chaos. However, by planning in advance you can stay ahead of the rush and send your family on their way with a full belly.
Begin your days with a bright spot that will get you started and add fuel to keep you going. With a quick trip to the grocery store, a few basic ingredients and a little weekend prepping, an affordable breakfast will be an investment well worth making! Here’s how you can feed your family all week without breaking the bank.
Blueberry Pound Cake on Monday
Instead of individual blueberry muffins, which take forever to bake fresh, bake a yummy blueberry pound cake over the weekend. Then come Monday all you’ll have to do is slice it! Not only is it perfect for breakfast, but it can also work as a snack for lunch, or a warm dessert topped with a scoop of ice cream after dinner!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1 cup milk
- Grease a 10-inch tube.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a very large mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until mixture is well combined.
- Beat in eggs.
- Stir blueberries into flour mixture.
- By hand, stir blueberry mixture into butter mixture.
- Stir in milk just until combined.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 to 75 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Loosen cake from edge of pan with a narrow metal spatula.
- Remove cake from pan, cool completely on wire rack.
Related Story: The Best End of Summer 2019 Sales to Shop
Egg White Muffins on Tuesday
This is another breakfast option that is very easy to prepare over the weekend. Once cooked, put them in a baggie and place in the refrigerator. Then all you have to do is take out what you need and pop them in the microwave for a quick, nutritious breakfast. Ingredients can be changed during preparation to suit the tastes of the pickiest eaters! This recipe makes 12 muffins.
- 24 egg whites
- baby spinach
- chopped onion
- chopped pepper
- chopped ham
- chopped bacon bits
- chopped mushrooms
- shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Choose ingredients.
- Spray muffin pan.
- Add chopped ingredients to each cup.
- Add about 2 egg whites per cup (depends on the amount of veggies and meat already in cup).
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Immediately remove and let cool on a rack. Once cool, place 2 in an air-free zip lock bag. They will keep for a week in the fridge.
- In the morning, remove from bag and heat in microwave for 1 minute.
Waffles on Wednesday
The two W’s...Wednesday and waffles!
Using Bisquick waffle mix will make this breakfast a breeze. You can even mix the batter up the night before, cover it tightly and store it in the refrigerator. Then simply heat the waffle iron and you’re ready to roll out some delicious hot waffles! Make them special by adding personal options like chocolate chips, blueberries or even brown sugar butter!
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Heat waffle iron and spray with cooking spray.
- Stir ingredients until blended. Add chocolate chips or berries to batter before pouring into waffle iron.
- Pour into center of hot waffle iron. Close lid of waffle iron.
- Cook about 5 minutes or until steaming stops.
- Carefully remove waffle.
Breakfast Pizza on Thursday
Everybody loves pizza. This quick and easy breakfast pizza will be no different! Divide it into sections that way mom, dad and the kids can customize their personal serving portion.
- 1 precooked pizza crust
- 4 large eggs
- 1-2 packages of real bacon bits
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place pizza crust on pizza stone or baking sheet.
- Scramble 4 eggs in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Sprinkle eggs over pizza crust.
- Sprinkle bacon over eggs.
- Sprinkle cheese over pizza.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Smoothies on Friday
Finish off the busy week and wind down with an easy, healthy smoothie. The possibilities are really up to individual tastes but this recipe will give you a guideline. Always put liquids in the blender first so mixing will go smoothly. Ice cubes can be added but if you prefer a less watered-down version, use frozen fruits. You can purchase to-go cups at the Dollar Tree or on Amazon to allow time to sit back, sip and enjoy breakfast on the go. This recipe makes four servings.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup yogurt (5 ounce Greek yogurt)
- 2-4 Tablespoons honey, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 whole banana, frozen
- 2 cups strawberries fresh or frozen
- Place the ingredients in the order listed above in a high-powered blender.
- Blend starting on low speed and increasing to high for 30-60 seconds or until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour into cups and serve immediately!